What is the NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme ?
The NHS Type 2 Diabetes Path to Remission Programme involves following a low-calorie diet (LCD), which is defined as a diet with a calorie intake of up to 900 calories or less a day. The recommended calorie intake for adults is around 2,000kcal per day for active women and 2,500kcal for active men.
The programme is based on the DiRECT study which showed that this approach could help people lose weight, improve their diabetes control, reduce diabetes-related medication and even achieve remission (whereby blood glucose levels return to normal without the need for medication).
The programme is being rolled out gradually across Somerset in phases. Please visit the Momenta website for information on where the programme is currently available and proposed locations.
What is the programme?
- A 12-month low-calorie diet treatment for people who are overweight and living with Type 2 diabetes in Somerset with regular support from trained diabetes health coaches
- No cost to participants, includes all meal replacement products
- Free resources including recipe books, work and lifestyle log books, pedometer and more...
- Learn skills and techniques to help keep the weight loss off for the long term
WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THE PROGRAMME?
You must be registered with a GP practice in Somerset and:
- Be aged 18–65 years
- Have had a diagnosis of Type 2 diabetes within the last 6 years
- Have a BMI over 27 kg/m2 (or over 25 kg/m2 if you are of Black, Asian or minority ethnic origin).
You also need to meet various other eligibility criteria and be willing to commit to the 12 month group
programme to be referred to the service.
Want to know more?
Visit the Momenta website to find out more about the programme, whether the programme is right for you and what to do next if you are interested in taking part.
Tracking your Progress
Registering for MyWay Diabetes will allow you to track your progress on your weight loss journey, you will be able to see your weight, BMI and waist measurement. Click here to register.